Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 5 :)

First of all, this is not a New Year's Resolution. Those things put so much unnecessary pressure on a person, and they're designed to fail! I mean, you get silly drunk one night, wake up the next day, and decide to improve something? It takes planning, people!

That said...this is day 5 of not smoking. Mr. P and I are both giving it another go. We set our date a couple months ago, knowing we needed to get through the holidays first. And we started (stopped?) on January 1. So far, so good. Until today.

I've noticed that my biggest triggers are work-related: driving to/from work, set "breaks" with my office smoker-buddy, etc.

I really want to quit.

I don't want my clothes/hair/breath/etc. to smell like a cigarette anymore.
I don't want to feel so unhealthy anymore.
I don't want to waste money on this addiction.
I don't want to have to feel like a pariah in social situations.

I want to start over.
I want to feel better about myself.
I want to prove to myself - not anyone else - that I can do this.
I want to save the money I'm not spending and do something fun!

I'm struggling a bit, but I'm managing. I can use all the consistent encouragement I can get. This isn't just a one-day thing. Tomorrow, I'm gonna need a boost. Wednesday, another one. Next week, and after, I just need all the reminders I can get that I'm doing an awesome job. And this time around, I'm not allowed any rewards until I hit the one-month point.

I've already called Pop once today to get a little extra moral support. I'm scared of slipping up, but I'm determined. And though I might not feel it right now, down the road, it'll be much better.

17 comments:

Leftturnyielder said...

I'm so proud of you! Coming from two parents who smoked, I know it was really a struggle for them to quit. I mean my dad quit smoking AND drinking, at least you're not giving up both. ;)

One day at time, though and if you slip up just move forward from there. You can do this, you want to make the change and that's the first hurdle. You ARE strong enough to do this!

Megan

*K said...

Although not a smoker I recognize you're facing an up-hill battle. I think you should give yourself at least a pat on the back for your five day accomplishment and I wish you and your husband lots of will power in the upcoming days, weeks and months. It sounds like you have all of the right reasons to make your goal a success.

Julia Goolia said...

You can do it, Jen and Mr.P!! I've had a few friends who've quit smoking over the years and I know it was one of the most difficult things for them to do ....but it's so worth it.

I imagine it would be quite freeing to say, "Eff You!" to cigs.

And if you are feeling really torn about it, I could tell you some horror stories about patients I see in the hospital who are smokers. Not pretty, enough said.

Keep us updated!

LC said...

You really can do it! I don't smoke and I have never been addicted to anything before so it is hard for me to talk strategies. However, I do struggle with dieting and maybe it would work out for smoking. If cold turkey doesn't work for you, could you "reward" yourself at the end of the week with 1 cig? I did that with dieting...diet all week and get a reward meal at the end. I don't know if it would work the same way but who knows?!

Angie said...

You totally can kick this habit's ass! I watched my mom go on oxygen and struggle to breath after smoking her whole life, you don't want to end up like that. It will be hard but you can do it. Just take it one day at a time. Start thinking about a fun trip the 2 of you can take with all the money you didn't waste on cigs. You can do it!!!! Stay strong sista!

Carrie said...

Jen - congrats to you and Mr. P! Maybe you guys could create a "non-smoking savings jar" and, however much money per week you would normally spend on cigs, set that money aside and at the end (or every month or whenever you deem appropriate), take that money and do something fun for yourselves! May the force be with you :)

sarah said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

My brother and stepdad quit, too, so I know how hard it is. I have faith in you and know you will kick nicotine's cancer-causing ass.

I seriously think quitting it the best thing anyone can do for herself. It was too painful to watch my grandma slowly die from lung and heart failure due in major part to her years of smoking - don't put your family through the same thing. How's that for some tough love?

I know you can do it. Keep posting about it - accountability is very helpful!

Trisha said...

Best of luck to you!!
I believe you can do it.
After all, my husband did! (YAY)
(This was him at this time last year!)

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! I have the utmost respect for people who have the stamina and determination to quit smoking. Good luck and when you do kick the habit you will be one happy couple!

Anonymous said...

You are doing GREAT! Here is some info on handling cravings - it might help...

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_13X_Help_for_Cravings.asp

Anonymous said...

Yeah Jen!! I definitely understand what you mean in regards to triggers. As far as driving, one thing that helped me was to keep gum or hard candy in my car. It seemed to help take my mind off of smoking if my mouth was otherwise occupied, ya know?

N. said...

Good for you, Jen (and Mr. P)!!!
You can do it!
A few things my brother did: lots of gum, and he used visual aids... pics of his son and pregnant belly of his wife, in his car, desk drawer, doors to outside, etc. to remind him why he was quitting. Stay strong mentally; you're doing a great thing!

Maria said...

You both can do it! You may have some bumps in the road, but you will both get there. I really like Carrie and Kristal's suggestions.

I used to work with a guy that quite smoking, and he curbed his temptations with peppermints. He always had peppermints with him. :-)

Lisa said...

You can do it Jen!!! I've never been an "addicted" smoker (just a social one - and now I can't even stand that) so I don't have a ton of personal advice, but you can SO DO THIS!! And, I definitely vote for Carrie's suggestion of something to document the amount of money you are saving and put it towards a date night or other such fun event. Good luck!

Mindy said...

You can totally do this! When you get a craving if you can take your mind off of it for 10 minutes the craving will usually go away. The car and smoke breaks were my hardest times as well.

Two weeks in and you will notice a big difference! 1 month in and I noticed that my sense of smell and taste was completely different! Try to avoid places that allow smoking inside because the temptation is almost overwhelming.

It will be 3 years this year for us and we were addicted smokers. If we can do you can do it. Pull up that inner will power and force it to remember the 10 minute thing.

Katie said...

You can do it!!

Amy said...

You can DO it (hee hee reminds me of a movie.....)

Blake has struggled and is still to this day, and i see how hard it is, i know that if you want it, you can do it. :)

now, if i see you at the gno with a cig, should i beat you with it :) just kiddin