Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Sleepless in St. Louis

Insomnia is a funny thing. Actually, it really sucks, but I guess it could be considered funny, depending on how you look at it.

I've inherited my father's insomniac trait. But even worse, I'm a clock-watcher. I crawled into bed last night at 10:30 - I was exhausted. And then I flipped and flopped and shut my eyes and opened my eyes...and all of a sudden the clock said 11:30.

So I got out of bed, went to the living room, and turned on the tv. Who would've guessed that after watching ALL of The Devil Wears Prada AND two episodes of Big Love, I'd still be wide awake?

I finally climbed back into bed, and eventually fell asleep, only to be rudely awakened by my alarm a short time later.

They say that lack of sleep leads to memory loss. I called Dad this morning to let him know about inheriting his horrible sleep patterns. We talked for a good 15 minutes, and he made me laugh. (When I don't sleep, I seem to be on the verge of tears nonstop, so laughter is a wonderful feeling.) Part of the conversation involved a scenario with cat toys like these:


I don't remember what it was, except it had something to do with cats and brains...I'm pretty sure it did, at least. Seriously, this just happened an hour ago. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHY IT WAS FUNNY!

If you know why it was funny or have a suggestion about conquering insomnia, let me know. My abilities to think clearly, write with some wit, and function in general have been severely compromised.


You're killing me, Smalls!

1 comment:

Julia Goolia said...

Do you have a lot on your mind? When I can't sleep it's usually b/c I can't turn my brain off. I don't have any suggestions except downing a few glasses of wine before bed. Then your brain will be nice and warm, and ready for sleep:)