Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thank You, Simon!




"That was a mess!" Simon is yet again my favorite judge on American Idol. There's something so refreshing about his sarcastic honesty :)

As much as I'm not looking to start something...I HAVE to get this off my chest. David Archuleta is making me crazy! I know he's the "front runner" on American Idol, but I don't understand what's so great about him. Seriously, people. It's an ACT. He's FULL OF IT.

Look at tonight...the pre-song interview story. This whole shy-kid bit is getting old. He acts all "woe is me, I'm the cute little shy kid, I'm so scared" and gets on stage and morphs into this completely different person. WHAT is THAT??? He's been singing/on stage way too long to be shy...GAH!

I think my frustration started when he ruined "Imagine" - a personal favorite. Don't go changing a good song! Sure, I'm a little thankful that he messed up "We Can Work it Out" on tonight's show, but you have to admit that if ANY of the older contestants had forgotten the words, all of the judges would've ripped them new ones instead of just Simon.

Listen to his songs, and compare him to the originals. It's pretty predictable: when David "changes" the song, he simply reverses the high and low notes from the original. Show me something a little more unique or creative, and maybe I'll change my tune (pun intended?)...

I know a lot of folks are rooting for him...if you can explain the appeal, please enlighten me. I just don't get it, and I'm getting sick of it :(

The good news is I got Mr. P to watch American Idol with me tonight :) And, as I sit here typing my rant, he's laughing at me. I'm glad I provide entertainment to someone!

5 comments:

N. said...

Ouch.. you're rough. :)
Okay, I actually really like this kid. And I was all prepared to tell you why... but I can't explain it. I guess maybe it's the 'IT' factor.. :) I don't think he is fake. I think he is genuinely modest and still pretty in awe that he in on the show, and made it this far. I agree he knows he's good, but I certainly don't think he's cocky or anything. I personally love his voice. It's raspy and unique and I really like it. My jaw dropped tonight when he forgot the words! Has that ever happened in the top 12, or even top 16, or whatever?!?! But I still like him and want him to make it far. I want Brooke to win though.
Who do you like? Please don't say rocker chick or Irish girl..

Anonymous said...

Almost all covers of Beatles songs irritate me so last night's show was slightly torturous. Now David's done 2, so that's 2 strikes right there. I watch Idol off & on but I just don't see it with this kid, either. (And I like Simon, too...even in the cases where I don't agree with him, I still would rather hear his opinion than Randy's or Paula's)

Schneiderdoodle said...

I am right there with you! Sure the kid has a pretty good voice but his personality is so fake it drives me nutso!!

Lisa said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!! That was brutal. Ditto what Nikki said. I love him. I'm sorry. but I do.

I actually do find him to be genuine and humble, and I thought his rendtion of "Imagine" was beautiful. I can't speak anything about the note arrangement (I can't carry a tune) but it truly moved me.

And, I think he seems just as shy in the interview as he is on stage. Maybe that's part of the charm. He's that good, and still that unsure of himself. He's only 17 for God's sake!!

Without a doubt, he screwed up last night. IMHO, proving how shy and nervous he is. But, Simon called him on it as expected. I don't believe that the judges would have treated any other 17 year old contestant differently.

I guess that's what makes American Idol so intriguing. People's differing opinions on it's stars. And, once again, I agree with Nikki. I can't wait for zebra hair lady to go home and Irish girl rubs me the wrong way too (even though she has a great voice). She's just too full of herself.

Jen said...

Nikki: I *think* my favorite is David Cook.

Lynn: I tend to agree about Beatles covers...however, I will make an exception for Sarah MacLachlan's version of Blackbird :)

Lisa: The more I think about it, I feel like since D.A. is only 17, he's not ready for a competition at this level. I agree that he has a good voice, but I don't feel like this should be his year, I guess. There are SO many talented contestants that I think it would be a shame for him to take it all ;)

I'm curious to see how it all plays out this season!