This morning, Bailey was in hyper mode, and ended up landing wrong after a jump off the couch. Squealing ensued in a way I've never heard before. Her back left leg looked like she all of a sudden had two knees...not good. We hauled ass over to Webster Groves Animal Hospital, and our "emergency" prompted a 30 minute wait. (Yes, I was frustrated, but it's not like we really had any other options.)
We happened to get lucky, because Bailey's lovely vet, Dr. Britt, was on call today, and was able to see us. She and the vet tech laid Bailey on her side to check out her leg...after some poking and prodding, she let us know they needed to do an x-ray, and that Bailey needed to be sedated. She would call when they were done.
About an hour later, Dr. Britt gave Mr. P a call, letting us know we could come pick Bailey up, and she'd talk to us there. We rushed back to get our little Bear, and were led into the back room. Not an exam room, the actual holding area where sick animals are kenneled and staff have computers to look at results, etc.
Ultimately, Bailey has an "avulsion of her tibial tuberosity." I still don't understand it all, because I'm no veternarian, and medical terms escape me. What I have gathered is that 1) it's basically worse than a broken leg, 2) because she's a puppy and her growth plates are still growing, it requires a couple of surgeries (done by a specialist), and 3) there is nothing we wouldn't do for this dog.
Mr. P and I are both pretty upset. While we know it's pretty traumatic for Miss B, it certainly hurts our hearts to know that she's in pain. The specialist isn't open until Monday, and it sucks that we can't call until then. Hopefully, because she's a growing puppy, they'll get us in as soon as possible. Until then, she's bandaged and on pain meds.
Because I know this requires pictures, here's BaileyBear with her beautiful green bandage. Renzo (the stuffed toy dog, her favorite) and Hedgie (her oh-so-creatively named hedgehog) are keeping guard over their friend.
It's an extra bummer because Bailey was supposed to have another fun weekend, and now she's stuck at home with her overprotective parents.
Anyway, keep little Bear in your thoughts. It's not easy for any of us, but especially her right now. She whimpers a little bit here and there, and we have to carry her outside to the bathroom and make sure her bandage stays dry. All we want is for her to feel better.
*************************
On a side note, not to be forgotten, it's my mom's birthday - Happy Birthday, Mom! We love you (and your "Little Bit" can't wait to be healthy enough to see you again).
6 comments:
Oh no! Not sweet Bailey!
The tibial tuberosity is the small bump right underneath your knee cap. So feel your knee cap and then after your tendon is a bump....that's it. So her patellar tendon pulled itself off that bump and pulled part of the bone off with it. Not good. Especially for a growing doggie.
If it's any consolation she looks SUPER cute with her cast! I'll be thinking of you guys, I'm sure this totally sucks. Keep us updated.
Get well soon, Bailey!!! She does look super cute right now in her cute cast. Are you home right now??? Walk over...we are having a bday party for Mike!!! 1351 McCausland!!!
Poor Bailey!! Get well soon. :(
Awwww your poor puppy. My cat broke his leg when he was a kitten and had to have surgery. He still walks with a limp.:( I hope her surgey goes well!
Poor Bailey - hopefully she's doing better today. Please keep us up dated and let us know what the specialist has to say!
OOH! Poor Bailey! I feel so bad!!! And that cast and laying in the little bed :(
FEEL BETTER SOON BAILEY!!!
Post a Comment