Thursday, March 6, 2008

Getting Your Hands Dirty - Turkey Meatloaf

I'm trying to make the commitment to myself to cook more often - I'm not horrible at it, but Mr. P is much better (add that to the list of reasons why I married him)! Last night, I did a quick fridge-raid when I got home to see what I could come up with, and decided to give a turkey meatloaf a shot. Mr. P called to see if he needed to bring anything home, and I let him know I was experimenting. (It should be noted that whenever I cook something "untested" there is cause for panic...I'm the first to admit that I've come up with some doozies in the past...) Ever the loving husband, Mr. P kept his cool, offered a couple of suggestions (which I promptly, stubbornly, and quite confidently shot down), and prepared for the ride :)

I wound up with a wonderful result, if I do say so myself, and intend on repeating with some variations. I guess I have impulse to thank for an easy new recipe (and my leftovers for lunch today)!

Turkey Meatloaf

1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 c bread crumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 egg (or substitute with 2 egg whites), lightly beaten
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp garlic
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp sage
½ tsp oregano

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease loaf pan (or glass baking dish).

Lightly sauté the onion and bell pepper – just enough to make the onion sweat. Set aside to cool. In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, wet ingredients, and ground turkey. Knead mixture by hand for even distribution. (A food processor can be used, but the outcome will be slightly different.)

Form the mixture into a loaf and place in pan. Bake until the meat temperature is 170 degrees – approximately 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

We had a salad and fresh green beans on the side, but the comfort-food-queen in me knows that this would be best served with mashed potatoes and dirty green beans...just not quite as healthy :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Dirty green beans sound soooo good right now!