Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Turkey Day!


Technically, this isn't a food blog. It isn't an anything blog, except mine. BUT, in honor of the greatest gorge-fest of the year, a little note about Turkey Day.

While I'm not really sure I want to "give thanks" for taking over land that belonged to Native Americans and celebrating settlement in America, I'll certainly celebrate big, funny-looking, barely-flying birds...thus, Turkey Day. (I honestly can't remember the last time I used "Thanksgiving" to describe the day.)

My water aerobics class (wow, when did I become an old woman?) last night was spent working out and talking about Turkey Day...can we say cruel and unusual? Everyone talked about their favorites. My friend Beckie chose cranberry sauce, and our instructor actually asked, "the homemade kind or the kind with ridges?" I have to laugh, because the ridged kind is definitely the canned kind, and I prefer it :)

For the past couple of years, Mom has handed over the bird-duties to Mr. P, who has a thorough (albeit somewhat overly-meticulous) bird-cooking process. It starts the Wednesday before Turkey Day (which would be tonight), when he creates a brine for the bird. Then throw in some aromatics - apples, onions, celery, some other stuff (possibly apple cider?) - and soak overnight. On Thursday (the Day of the Turkey), the bird bakes :) I've never had a piece of turkey smell AND taste quite as good. Apparently, neither has Mom, because she's more than happy to let Mr. P continue the process, involved as it may be.

And while the turkey is amazing, it truly doesn't take much to get me going. I'm really a stuffing kind of girl. The basic kind. Mmm, mouth-watering! But I'm also the one who likes the cranberry sauce with ridges ;)

It'll be a small affair this year, just Mom, Dad, Mr. P, and me. I miss the days of the entire family getting together at Bam's place in Indianapolis, but it is nice to not be rushed by travel. Mr. P and I really wanted to get to Memphis or Indy this year, but unfortunately, he's stuck working Black Friday. So it's here in St. Louis for Turkey Day. Hope it's a great one for everyone!

No comments: