
Sorry in advance to those who are reading this thinking I've landed a new job. Not the case. I don't even know if I want it to be the case. I'm just in dream-mode at the moment, and it feels good. It's been a while since I've been here...
I've been thinking a lot lately about what I'd actually like to do with my life. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with many realistic answers!
I currently work for a small nonprofit, and I have this fear that we won't grow as much as we expect to, and that as a result, I won't get to move up and grow with the company. Stressful, but not earth-shattering, right?
So as a result, I've been thinking about what I WANT to do. I keep dreaming of finding something that allows me to balance my creative side with my desire for structure...but apparently that's not exactly common :)
Mr. P and I have talked before about being food critics. We'd make reservations in my maiden name, and be just about the most unsuspecting customers at any restaurant! Then, we'd publish our commentary under our married name...seems foolproof, right? I know exactly how unassuming we look: young couple, probably not very well off [well, they'd be right about that part]..."crap, they're not even gonna tip us well!" (Little do they know...we probably tip better than most.) Since service means so much to us both, that would be a huge aspect of our critique. But since we both love food, too, that's just as important...hey, isn't that what a food critic is supposed to do? Combine Mr. P's opinions with mine (because no couple completely agrees on everything, and we're both about as stubborn as it gets), add in some of his restaurant expertise and my writing, and I think we've got a plan!
What Mr. P doesn't know yet is that I've decided to expand on this dream. I want to be a food critic and publish my commentary in local papers, etc., but I also want to be a travel critic and be published in national and international publications! I want to travel the world and experience different cultures and places to stay, things to do, etc. I want to get paid to live my dream...and I want to write again...so why not just write about living out my dreams?
(When Mr. P reads this, it wouldn't surprise me if he adds art critic to expand his list.)
I guess what I'm asking is this: who wants to fund my dreams?
Better yet: who's got inside job-landing connections to Frommer's, Fodor's or Conde Nast?
2 comments:
Not me, on both accounts:) But I just wanted to say I think it's a great idea. I'd love to find a creative yet structured job as well..but I'm way too chicken shat to actually do it. Go for it and keep us updated!
First of all, that comic is hilarious. Micro-manage is SO my boss. And you don't want to know the number of times I've had to change the font...
Second, food critic is DH and I's dream job too!! Can we be a foursome?
Post a Comment