Wednesday, August 12, 2009

County =/= Country

I've been spending a few hours each evening after work doing a few things here and there at the new house. This evening, Pop was helping out with a new deadbolt on the front door, Mom P was there to help with some trim.

All of a sudden, Pop starts speaking. (I was in another room up on a step stool so I have no idea what's going on.) He's kinda chuckling, and I was confused. After coming down from my up-high painting perch, I talked to Pop to figure out what was up.

Apparently, some of our new neighbors have chickens. Yep, CHICKENS. In WEBSTER GROVES.

Neighbor-man casually asks if we've seen his chicken. Mentions that sometimes one will get out, and if we see it, to just holler. Um...OK?

I should add that, growing up, my neighbor had both chickens and a couple of roosters. She also raises bees and sells the honey. This was also in the county.

I never thought I'd be living so close to domestic fowl ever again...and it's somewhat comforting.

8 comments:

Jennelle said...

Chickens?!?! In WG?!?! Geez, I live just outside of StL County, and our neighbors don't even have chickens! :)

Amy said...

lol, you make sure to hollar if you see those chickens! :)

LC said...

We have someone down the street who has a chicken coup with 2 chickens. In Kirkwood! Mia loves to walk by them every morning ;)

Sarah said...

well, at least you know where to turn if you ever run out of grocery money.
"sorry, neighbor... nope... i sure haven't seen your chicken.... maybe he flew away??" :)
when i lived in afton as a kid, there was a family a few houses up who owned a rooster and that was ANNOYING. and actually not all that unexpected for afton. ;)

Lisa said...

Ha! That's a new one for me :).

Anonymous said...

Just hope he doesn't have any roosters. My FIL had a rooster and I HATED staying there because that thing would crow for at least an hour, every day at 5 am. Every night I suggested we have fried chicken for dinner. :)

N. said...

Oh my god! I buy honey and eggs from your old neighbor at the Clayton Farmers' Market! How funny! I love her!
Unless... there is another lady in Clayton who has chickens, roosters, and bees in her backyard... ;)

Katie said...

How funny!