Wednesday, April 22, 2009

(Not so) funny story

As a result of some more-than-normal stress and anxiety, my body's fighting with me. Yesterday, I had a stomach ache that was just uncomfortable. Got over it, went on with life.

This morning, I got to work, and had an ocular migraine/migraine with aura. For those who don't know, this doesn't always mean that there's head pain, but it messes with my vision. I've only had a couple in my life, and the last one was a year and a half ago, right before the wedding. Scared the crap out of me - thought I was going blind! I get normal migraines here and there, which suck, but these are particularly frightening just because they're so different.

Well today, I had some more severe side effects than I've had before. My vision blurred and I ended up having some numbness in my left arm (forearm, hand) and left side of my mouth. My balance was off. Again, scary.

Left work, had Mr. P take me to the doctor. Went through all sorts of balance tests, cried from being nervous and scared, and eventually was diagnosed...atypical migraine with anxiety. Prescribed meds and - get this - reduce stress.

Why do docs always suggest reducing stress, when there's really not a whole lot that can be done at any given time? It's not like they ever say "go do such-and-such" to actually accomplish the goal. They just say "do it" like it's that easy!

Oh well. I'm doing much better now (obviously, since I'm blogging), but a little weirded out. Bailey sat on my lap for a little while to make sure I don't go anywhere for a while :) The good news is these are so few and far between, I shouldn't have to worry too much as long as I take better care of myself.

7 comments:

LC said...

Oh girl, I am with you. I haven't had the migraines (yet) but I have been dealing with stress/anxiety/ panic issues. Haven't been to the dr. yet but I definitely would have it I had those symptoms. I am so glad that you are feeling better and I am sorry that you went through this today :(

Emily said...

Scary! Glad you're doing better. =-)

Julia Goolia said...

I good lord, that is frightening, Jen! Take care of yourself! You are right, there probably isn't much you can do to reduce the amount of stress in life but maybe meds will help?

I'm glad it's not cardiac related [the medical person in me is coming out, beware!] because numbness/visual changes can sometimes mean much more than a migraine. So in that sense, it could always be worse, right?

Hang in there and get some rest. And remember to breathe....that always helps me:)

Hanna said...

That is so scary! I get normal migraines but nothing like that. Take some time to relax (if possible).

Pamela said...

GEEZ, Jen! i'll take my hives over that business... i'm sorry you're so stressed. call if you ever wanna chat.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ugh, as if regular migraines aren't bad enough, right? Hope you're feeling better!

Jennelle said...

Oh, my! I'm glad you're feeling better, and that you're not going blind or anything scary like that. :)