In relation to Mary's comment on my last post...
While we get plenty of lovely comments about Bailey, I have to share the conversation I had on Wednesday evening with a woman (hereafter referred to as Idiot Breeder, or IB) who was looking at one of the apartments in our building (Mr. P doesn't know, because I forgot to tell him!):
IB: Your puppy is so beautiful!
Me: Thank you! She's a wonderful dog...
IB: How old is she? Is she spayed? What kind of dog is she? You should really breed her...
Me (emphatically): YES, she's already spayed. I wouldn't want to let her accidentally get pregnant - I don't want to deal with puppies. Plus, she's a mutt.
IB: Well that's a shame. You could have made a lot of money off of her.
WTF??? AARRGHHH! SERIOUSLY!!! I don't understand people. Bailey is a mutt. Pretty, sweet, lovey, all sorts of wonderful things, but still a mutt. She is the result of other irresponsible pet owners. There are plenty of dogs JUST LIKE HER already in shelters!
Sorry, I just had to vent :) I'm a huge advocate of adopting and rescuing, as well as speutering. Yeah, I'm kind of a resident Bob Barker. There are too many animals needing love, and not enough loving homes to go around. (Not to mention that I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of making my loving pet a business enterprise. SOOO not cool.)
However, all that said, I couldn't be happier with our mutt, and am flattered by every comment we get about her! I just wished I'd had enough courage to slap some sense into IB...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The "I" in "IB" could also stand for "irresponsible." I may be wrong, but I don't think the first thing a respectable breeder sees in a dog is $$$$$. It's people like that that are contributing to pet overpopulation.
The ignorance of some people and their refusal to become educated drives me friggin' crazy.
Some people really don't know when to shut up. How could she not know about the pet overpopulation problem. I don't even have a dog and I know that.
Soo....um...are you gonna breed her?
(kidding)
Post a Comment