Saturday, May 3, 2008

Bacon & Basil Cups

For the ladies who attended the Girls Night Out - here's the recipe for the appetizer I brought (I've been meaning to post it for a while now...):

Bacon and Basil Cups

Ingredients:

1 package bacon
1/4 lb. baby swiss cheese, shredded
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
Tomatoes (Roma work well)
Mayo (1/2 cup at most)
2 boxes Fillo (Phyllo) cups - found in freezer section
1 package fresh basil (optional)

Directions:
Cook the bacon crispy.
De-goo (technical term = remove seeds and excess juice) and dice the tomatoes.
Shred fresh basil (if desired).
Put all ingredients into a large bowl.
Add as much mayo as necessary to hold everything together. (You can't really do too much or too little - it's just the glue.)

Spoon the mixture into the Fillo cups.

Bake in the oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is gooey. (Best if baked, but can be microwaved in a pinch.) If desired, some of the shredded basil can be placed on top of each cup for a decorative touch.

The mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated for a couple of days, and if you have some leftover it's great on chips (cold or melted).

Wish I had a picture to share, but these always seem to disappear before the cameras show up :)

2 comments:

Christie & Roger said...

Those were so good! I can't wait to make them myself!

Jamie said...

Ummm....I'm confused as to how I managed to miss those! Guess I'll have to try and make them myself...thanks for the recipe...they sound awesome!