Monday, January 28, 2008

Weekend Recap

THURSDAY

Mr. P's 28th birthday. My folks offered to take us out to dinner to celebrate, and Mom decided we'd go to Robust , a little wine bar in Webster Groves just west of Straub's on Lockwood. It would be a fabulous place to go with a friend for a quick drink, and the food was wonderful, but as is with many tapas restaurants, portions are small and not quite filling. A satisfying evening could quickly break the bank! Unfortunately, there was a private party in their back room, which left little space for the other customers (it's pretty small!) and our wait was going to be over an hour. We each had a glass of wine and a cheese or meat plate. The Delice De Bourgogne is a French cheese similar to brie that I highly recommend, and the crab cakes are to die for!

Anyway, since the wait was so long and I refused to eat at the bar (c'mon, it's a special dinner, table, please!), we headed down the street to Cyrano's, which was where Mr. P had wanted to go to dinner in the first place! I love the atmosphere there - it's a bit eclectic and whimsical, but comfortable at the same time. Since it's one of my favorite restaurants, I can't really say much without being biased, so I'll just mention that my personal favorite is the Open-Faced Lobster Club :) Dessert is a can't miss here, from bread pudding (an acquired taste, to be sure) to these awesomely enormous ice cream dishes. Check out the menu - if nothing else, it's a fun stop for dessert on date night!

FRIDAY

Mr. P was working, so Miss Bailey and I took it easy for the evening.

SATURDAY

Miss Bailey went to her second puppy training class, where she was wonderful! (Of course, it doesn't hurt to have 1)a well-behaved puppy, and 2)a food-motivated puppy!) We were practicing "heel" and the three other puppies were asked to go back to their seats while I had to prance Miss B. around the room. As proud as I am, I still don't want to be teacher's pet! Later in class, Mr. P had to practice with her alone, and someone actually grumbled behind me "Star of the Class" - I was so annoyed that there truly might have been steam coming out of my ears. Oh well. Get over it. I need a bumper sticker that says "My Dog is an Honor Student at WGAH" - but more on training in another post.

Schmoogie came over after our class, and was pretty bummed. After working at a rocky relationship for quite some time, it looks like it's finally over. I hesitate to be too happy, because it hurts so much to see her so sad. Whether they end up back together or she finds someone else who's perfect for her, I never like to see her upset, and I felt absolutely helpless.

Saturday evening, Mr. P and I did a joint birthday dinner with his cousin G (they're 1 year, 4 days apart) and G's wife, A. A has always made me nervous, but the evening might have been a breakthrough...

The four of us met at Bar Louie in Kirkwood for a quick drink before heading to Citizen Kane's for dinner.


G picked the restaurant - apparently it's one of his favorites. While the steak was wonderful, I don't expect to go back anytime soon. The experience did not live up to the hype, and for an expensive meal, I simply expect better...both food and service.

After dinner, we headed to Llywelyn's Pub in the Central West End.


Grand Beauty was playing upstairs - they're friends of G's (he used to fill in for the bassist), and it was the perfect end to a wonderful evening.


FYI: they'll be at Old Rock House next weekend, and Llywelyn's in both Soulard and the West End coming up soon.

SUNDAY

We met Schmoogie at the Boardwalk Cafe for brunch - she seemed like she was doing alright. I worry that I may be more heartbroken than she is, but out of love for her. Does that make sense?

Relaxing afternoon, and a quick stop at GAP - I finally bought some new jeans that fit both my big arse AND my tree trunk thighs! I'm about as bottom-heavy as it gets (my mom calls it "sturdy") and pants-shopping - jeans in particular - is always an absolute nightmare!



Anyway, it's been a crazy-busy few days, and I'm happy to take some time off. Doesn't look like that's going to happen for a while - we've got plans tomorrow night, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and most of the next two weeks! Hope everyone's doing well - check out some of the above places if you ever get the chance :)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Ditto your thoughts re: Citizen Kanes. We went there for my birthday a few weeks ago (mainly because I was trying to find a place that was conveniently located near Serendipity, because I wanted to get ice cream for dessert!). My steak was fine, our service was fine ... but the decor ... seriously? And for those prices, I don't know -- I would have expected something more special.

Carrie said...

Love the Gap jeans -- as a fellow "sturdy" girl (love that description!), I have several pairs.