Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Apartment Life, etc.

I'm constantly reminding myself of the pros and cons to life as a renter. As much as I want a house (desperately! who wants to help fund our down payment?!), there are times that I'm just as happy not to be in total control...

I came home from work yesterday and found out that sometime on Monday night, our kitchen drain backed up :(

PRO: Call the landlord! Make him fix it, and not have to pay!
CON: Do it on the landlord's schedule, not mine.

I called our landlord at 5:30 pm last night and left a message...and waited, and waited, and waited. I called again this morning at 9 am, and was told that he'd make a call to the plumber.

I waited again...at 12:30, I called him AGAIN, and was told that they'd be here "sometime this afternoon." So I took the afternoon off. (Sidebar: I was supposed to go to the Gateway Center for Giving's Annual Meeting luncheon today, and since I was STILL WAITING to hear from our landlord, I had to miss it to be around for home stuff.)

Well, it's 2:30 pm now, and the plumber, Robert, is here. He has got to be one of the nicest men in the world, and keeps saying "ma'am" which makes me think he's Southern. Since our ghetto kitchen has a wacky configuration (our dishwasher is under the sink, so it only has a 1/2 top rack...seriously), this job is apparently a little trickier than most. Go figure!

Miss Bailey's pretty nervous about all the weird noises. She's really curious, and has been nothing but sweet to Robert (who's not all that interested in her), but seriously, she's shaking like a leaf at all the equipment! He's using a snake (is that the right term?) right now to go through the pipes, and she's pushed up against me on the couch, under my arm.

I have to say, I'm almost happy to have an afternoon off since it's been so nutty lately. I hate to take vacation time for it, but it's nice to spend some quality time with the Bailey Bear...

On another note, I have to say I'm not surprised to hear that John Edwards has dropped out of the Presidential race. I'm not necessarily happy about it, because I have a lot of respect and admiration for him, but unfortunately, his two Democratic "history-making" main opponents were able to steal any real attention away from him. I'm curious to see which way the race will turn, and whether Edwards will endorse either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton (if he makes an endorsement at all). Also curious to see whether Governor Kathleen Sebelius (D-Kansas) will be the first pick as the Democratic running mate. She did this year's Democratic Response to Monday night's State of the Union address. Captivating...

Current Addiction: CNN

Keep an eye out for more pics of Miss Bailey!

1 comment:

LC said...

Ohhh...I love seeing picture of that cutie Bailey! I love her! Hey, did you hear about that accident at Clayton and Tamm??? 3 people died! FI lives right around the corner on Oakland...scary,huh! Anyways, I might take you up on that wine offer sometime soon. I feel another pity party coming on (I think I may be getting sick) :(