(a.k.a. quite possibly my most ridiculous neurosis)
For most people, a dental cleaning is a smiple trip, upon which they leaving feeling sparkly clean, right?
For me, not so much.
I schedule my dental visits in the afternoon, knowing full well it's going to require my taking a half-day at work. I always make sure to eat some kind of breakfast on dentist day, because I know I won't be able to eat lunch due to the panic factor. The nerves start early in the morning, and by the time lunch rolls around, I hightail it home.
About an hour before my appointment, I take my first Valium. This is followed by my second Valium about a half hour before the appointment. Gotta make sure that stuff starts working in time :)
Mr. P graciously drives me there and walks me into the office, where the women all schmooze about how sweet he his, how cute he is, and usually giggle at me - they know the drill :)
I'm usually feeling pretty good by this point. Nice and relaxed, and if it weren't for the butterflies in my stomach, I'd probably be asleep. I get called in, and the ordeal truly begins as I lie back in the chair.
Yesterday was dentist day. And I avoided it as much as I could - I hadn't gone in almost a year! It was a rough appointment, to say the least.
When it was finally over, Mr. P was again my gracious and adorable chauffeur. I got home, took a final Valium, and went to sleep. I can't believe my irrational fear of the dentist causes the insane amount of stress that it does. Most people can't understand. Am I neurotic? No, just a wimp, I guess.
So here I am today, with a sore neck from all the stress tension yesterday. I absolutely adore the receptionist and hygenist at the office - they care enough to make sure I'm doing alright. And since they've known me for most of my life, when I call to schedule an appointment, they're already preparing for what may come.
The good news is that the Valium makes me an almost-normal patient. If only you could have seen how bad I was before they started prescribing it for me. I used to squirm and cry and hyperventilate. It was quite the picture, I'm sure, to see an adult have such an extreme panic attack due to a simple procedure. I can't believe they didn't just kick me out sometimes. This all goes back to my childhood - I've just gotten worse as I've gotten older :)
But today, I'm exhausted, partially functional, and feel like I just got hit by a Mack truck. Tomorrow I'm sure I'll be back to my usual semi-neurotic self. I just figured I'd share one of the more prevalent oddities about myself for your amusement.
And for the record, when we have children, Mr. P will be on dental duty. I really, truly hope that our kids don't have to suffer the same fear I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
you crack me up but you know, i hate the dentist too! it is someting about the noises and then i flashback to childhood when my brother (he had aweful teeth!) would be screeming bloody murder and the dentist (bad dentist!) would yell at him.
SO, needless to say, dentists not my bffs.
LOL! You do have quite the dentist phobia! A horrible experience as a child? You are very lucky to have such an understanding husband, though. So sweet of him :).
Wow, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I wish we never had to go to the dentist.
Is your dentist the one who writes you the script for the valium? I need to find out who he/she is and see them!!!!
I totally feel your pain. My dentist is even one of my best friend's dad! I haven't gotten to the valium level yet, but I cannot believe that it isn't coming. Hope you feel better soon.
Are you afraid of pain during the cleaning, or of them finding a cavity and needing to drill? I find this little tid bit about you fascinating! I mean, I don't particularly like the dentist but I love the way my teeth feel afterwards.
I understand where you're coming from. I do OK with cleanings now, but anything else freaks me out so much...to the point that I had almost a dental emergency. Ick. BUT that led me to a sedation dentist and that experience was a God-send. I still don't look forward to the dentist but I know I can handle it (albeit heavily sedated). Let me know if you want more info (even though it sounds like you have a good arrangement already).
Post a Comment