Monday, December 15, 2008

The New I-64...

...is annoying.

So this morning, I'm already running late. I go outside to start the car, and MY DOOR IS FROZEN SHUT. F@#K! Mr. P kindly helps me get the door unstuck, and then we spend a joint 30 minutes scraping ice off the car. (OK, let's be honest - we all know that Mr. P did most of the work while I called the office to say I'll be late, and try to deal with the mess of icicles that is my WET HAIR.)

I finally get on the road, and people A) don't know how to drive, B) can't figure out how to do ANYTHING without Hwy 40, and C) are generally just a pain in my ass.

My normal commute of 1/2 an hour (taking Forest Park Pkwy) turns into an HOUR LONG clusterf@#k. Most of this time, mind you, is spent between Big Bend and Skinker. Seriously?! How far is that, like, a MILE or something? (It's not even that far, but I'm being generous.)

Basically, it took me an hour and a half this morning to get to work. Sure, some of that can be blamed on a frozen car, and some of it can be blamed on people not knowing how to get where they want to go.

The way I figure it is this: I have about a year to find the easiest way to get from U City to downtown STL in rush hour traffic. By the time I finally find the route that works best, it won't matter anymore - the construction will be done. And unfortunately, even though I *may* have a few options available, there are some things I just won't do - like drive through scary parts of STL in the dark.

WHY couldn't the second half of this closure been done first? I honestly believe this will be much worse than the western half of the highway construction project was. And don't get me started on what happens when Big Bend and Hanley are closed at 40. I'm right between the two, which will put my major North-South options at quite the standstill.

Grumpy.

Oh, and for those who are wondering? Icicle hair is, naturally, a pain in the ass, and results in the frizzy mess that rests upon my head today.

3 comments:

Amy said...

oooh, sounds like a shitty day! well, i hope it got better! I know what you mean about 40, i am happy now but when it first closed it was not fun for me. i think that it will be worse!!!

Mary said...

I feel your pain vicariously through Jason. He also said FPP was a mess this morning, though 40 was easy once he was able to get on. And coming home wasn't much better; he got home a whopping five minutes earlier than before. Great.

Leftturnyielder said...

I feel icicle hair is a burden often carried by us curly tops! It's my aversion to a hair dryer that causes it.

Oh, and this section of 40 closing is effing up my life much more than the other section. Patience. Isn't that what Guns'N'Roses said?