Monday, June 7, 2010

It's that time again...

I wanted to post this first thing this morning, but Blogger and I had a disagreement and it won.

So I'm trying again this afternoon. 



Mr. P and I are getting back on the wagon.
(again)


I really, truly want to quit. Can’t begin to tell you how hard this is…EVERY TIME I try. I honestly have no interest in the cigarettes themselves – it becomes an oral fixation of sorts, or a hand to mouth thing, or a boredom thing, or frustration, or whatever.  It's just a THING.

Weird, not-quite-exact-but-sorta-close comparison: For those of you who wear glasses and/or contacts, it’s like having worn your glasses for a month, then putting contacts in one day, and constantly reaching for the glasses frames throughout the day to adjust them. Becomes second nature, and feels weird when they’re not on.

The good news: this time, we’re not in the middle of moving.
The bad news: it’s summer, and we’ll be outside a lot.

The good news: I believe I can do it.
The bad news: I’m deathly afraid I’ll gain even more weight.

My Top 10 Smoking-related Triggers:
10. Just because
9. After meals
8. Long phone calls
7. Socialization (in general)
6. Feeling down
5. With a cup of coffee
4. Catching up with old friends
3. Pissed off at something work-related
2. Driving
1. ALCOHOL

Looks like I have to avoid quite a bit for a while.  Any ideas about how to avoid work? (ha.)
On the financial side of things – patches are actually MORE expensive than cigarettes up front. I have to remind myself that spending more right now will mean spending much, MUCH less in the future.

So there you have it. Trying again to quit.

And no matter what happens, I will keep trying until I actually DO quit.

8 comments:

Jennelle said...

Good luck, Jen!

Pamela said...

i'm proud of you! start by eliminating the easier triggers one by one. i think a good start would be to do something different when you're bored/just because. don't smoke in your car- it's distracting and as it gets hot out, it's uncomfortable. also (because it's going to get so hot outside soon) try to do something else during/after long phone calls. when you cut your triggers one by one, it's a lot less of a battle.

before i got pregnant, drinking was my only trigger. i'm obviously not doing that now and i haven't missed smoking once. not once! if they stopped making them tomorrow, i don't think i'd even notice.

GOOD LUCK!!!

N. said...

Good for you! No advice, but I'm rooting for you! You can do it. Pamela had some great tips... just stick with it, even when you take a step back. Just stick with it!

Sassy said...

Jen, you can do it! I know it's hard. But I know you are awesome and will be victorious. This never worked for me with stress eating and all that because I wasn't committed enough, but maybe it would work for you if, every time a craving strikes, you go for a walk or do something physical until the urge passes? Obviously that's not always feasible, but it does work...I just don't stick to it. Good luck, chica! You can do it!

Emily said...

Good luck! It's all about changing habits and developing new, healthier habits. Easier said than done...but half the battle is convincing yourself you're ready! =-)

Sarah said...

yea jen, you can do it!!

for me, smoking was very much an oral fixation thing... perhaps try bubble gum at first, chew the hell out of it and blow bubbles like they're going out of style?
my aunt tried eating sunflower seeds or pistachios, but i can't remember if that worked for her :)

Rhonda said...

You can do it JenP!!!

Schneiderdoodle said...

Good Luck!!! It's not easy but it's definitely worth it in the end!!