Monday, May 11, 2009

Buying a house is an emotional roller coaster!

This is turning out to be quite an experience. We keep finding places to see, and when we get there, it's just an "oh" feeling. Blah.

"Gee, that listing was misleading."

"Whaaa??? There's a full staircase to an attic the size of a closet?!"

"Umm, it says two bedrooms. That's a PORCH with doors to a back deck...and there's no closet. Can they do that?"

"Can it be called a bedroom if there aren't any windows and it's in the basement?"

"Oh, sh!t. You gotta see the back." And I see that the neighbors' place is half-burned out and they have dogs on chains :( Um, no. (And I get home and immediately look up city ordinances to see what I can do to help the doggies...)

I absolutely hate that we found a place we LOVED, and couldn't do anything about it. Then I found out that the guy who had owned it didn't do any of his renovations with a permit, and most of it wasn't up to code (among other issues). Poop.

This morning, we were supposed to see a house I'm VERY interested in, but the seller postponed our appointment. Our fabulous agent is working to see how soon we can reschedule. Pffft. (On the other hand, I still got to sleep in a little this morning before work!)

Getting anxious. And frustrated. And hopeful. And excited. And disheartened. And determined :)

Mr. P and I are extremely aware of compromises we are and are not willing to make. We completely understand that our first home is not intended to be our dream home, and honestly, I don't think we necessarily want it to be. But at this point, we're so ready for our OWN home. We're keeping a lot in mind and just believing that the right place for us will come along...I'm just wishing it to happen sooner rather than later.

Sidebar: wish Mr. P luck on his final exams this week!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Hang in there, Jen. Josh and I were lucky because we had no major urgency behind our move. Just a "when the right thing comes along" mentality which obviously made it a lot less stressful. So, while I can't totally relate, I know that good things happen to good people ;). Your perfect house is out there somewhere.

Coree said...

I totally understand what you are going through. We looked at over 50houses and put offers on 2 houses and didn't get them. The whole process was driving me insane! Yes, I know the perfect house is out there for you two! Good luck!

Sassy said...

Don't you hate the misleading listings? We went through at least 100 houses before we found ours. We lost out on 2 we really wanted, but then ended up where we are now and we're very happy with it. Hang in there - the frustration is really worth it. Nothing beats unpacking the last box (or shoving it in the attic) and realizing you really are home.

Pamela said...

GOOD LUCK MR. P!!!

and yes- the ups and owns are common. i can't even tell you how many clown houses we saw before we found ours. Seriously... some houses looked like a bunch of builders shared a bottle (or 10!) of Jim Beam and said, "let's build a house!" crooked flooring, walls different lengths, etc.

hang in there! your gem is out there.

Julia Goolia said...

I can only imagine....but remember, this is a FUN thing, right?

And Nate has finals this week too. Good luck to the hubbies! :)

Anonymous said...

Ugh, house hunting. While it can be fun, it can be seriously exhausting too. Hang in there!

Teresa said...

Buying a house was the single most stressful thing I have ever experienced.

We had a crappy agent though, and I think that had a TON to do with it. So hopefully, when you find the right one it will be smooth sailiing.

Hang in there!

Mary said...

I can't believe how different some of the houses look in person! It just goes to show how good (or bad) a photograph can make something look. I know how hard it is to be patient, so I feel your pain. I hope the (next) right one comes along soon!

Angie said...

It sucks that house hunting is such a PITA and such a huge ordeal. Wouldn't it be cool if it were sooo much easier?
Anywho good luck to Mr. P, my hubs has finals this week too.

Carrie said...

Just opened my GR for the first time in weeks. I think the one that was rescheduled will be Saturday (?) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that one!