Monday, February 23, 2009

Wedding-related Dilemma...

I know, I know...I've been married a year and a half, I should be totally over anything wedding-related! But I'm not.

I'm considering selling my wedding dress. I wore Maggie Sottero's Grace.





It's a beautiful dress, and I keep going back and forth...

1) I haven't discussed this with Mr. P, but

2) I'm not sure why I would want to keep it. I don't expect any future daughters to wear it, and I'll probably never fit in it again!

I'm not all that attached to it. I never had THE moment when finding my dress - I'm just not that type. Suggestions for selling? Clean it, put it online? I have no clue what to do!

Guess I'm just toying around with the idea for now. We'll see what happens.


Completely unrelated update: I fell off the wagon. I've really struggled with some things, and I've given in and smoked here and there on weekends. With this past weekend being Mardi Gras, and an incredibly packed weekend on top of that, I definitely gave up. Today, though, is a new day. I've gotten back on the wagon, and I'm still determined as ever.

8 comments:

Julia Goolia said...

I'm glad you are being honest about your falling off the wagon. And even better that you've saddled up again. You can do it!

I bought my dream gown on preownedweddingdresses.com. I highly recommend it and if my mother ever relinquishes my dress I plan on selling it there all over again. I also sold my first dress there without a hitch and in a few weeks only. Look into it, it's very easy.

Jennelle said...

I think the fact that you can admit you are struggling is a great sign that you will actually be able to quit. I know you can do it!

Unknown said...

I wore Grace too! Haha, reliving wedding planning moments... I completely feel for you. For the longest time I wanted to sell my dress. I never expect my daughters (if I have any!) to wear my dress. But I realized how much of a bonding experience it was for my mom and I when we broke the seal on hers and I tried it on. It was really fun! I also picture my grandchildren and great grandchildren looking at my dress. I don't know, I'm not sentimental for myself, but I just am afraid I'll miss some moments with my future family. I also fear that one day wedding gowns of "old-fashioned" white and lace will go to the wayside and I want to hold onto something that can be a little history lesson, day in the life of grandma item. To each her own though! I don't blame you for wanting to sell it at all. I'm just giving you my reasons behind finally deciding to keep mine.

Also, I've heard of people making their gowns into baptismal gowns for their children (I'm not Catholic so this doesn't apply to me). And I don't know much about it, but I was going to looking into brides against breast cancer to donate my gown.

Also, kudos for coming clean! I think you are extremely brave and deserve some major props for quitting!

LC said...

Get back on that wagon, girl! You can do it!

I don't blame you for thinking about selling you. You know that I am trying to figure out mine too!

Amy said...

For one, yes, i am really posting a this time of night...er almost morning. Cramming for a test mydumbass should have already been prepared for,

now, for the dress, you know i am comtemplating it too.It's a tough decision. maybe one day if i ever fit in mine we could wear it around town....

oh well, you fell off, shit happens. i know from blake that drinking is the hardest, and you add mardi gras and my house and that is one long ass day of drinkin.....keep it up!

sorry this turned into a book :)

Angie said...

It's all good girl, don't hate yourself. We're all still pullin for ya.
And I too wanna sell my dress. But it's filthy, so I don't know if I should sell it as is and deduct the cleaning price or what. It's just hanging in a bag. I could use the money. If I have a daughter she can get her own damn dress like I did ;)

Maria said...

Life happens, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Your dress was gorgeous, BTW. I remember looking at dresses online and that was one of the first ones I saw. :-)

Mary said...

Slip-ups happen. You're brave to be honest and be held accountable publicly. I know you can and will get back on the wagon.