Part smile, part vent. Part random. All me.
The smile:
I say Happy Holidays. I prefer it that way; until recently, the majority of people in my life were not Christian. OK, so it's politically correct. Whatever - we all know I'm not very PC. I just like the inclusiveness of the term "holidays" and I love that it encompasses more than one day. And I can say it to whomever I want.
The vent:
People implying that my choices in phrasing are wrong...and CORRECTING me on, say, Facebook or email.
I believe how you choose to wish someone well is a personal choice. I say Turkey Day instead of Thanksgiving; in MY world, it's not just a day of thanks. It's a day of family, friends, food, laughter, memories...and maybe a turkey ;) I say Happy HoliDAYS for a few weeks straight. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, sure, say "Merry Christmas!" all you want. But for me it's more of a seasonal thing from mid-November through the first of the year.
............
Sometimes I feel like beliefs are being pushed on me from all different directions. I can't help that I choose to say things to my friends, family, coworkers, and clients that is a little more friendly to ALL of them, if not directly related to each and every one. I just don't understand why some people act (or truly are) offended if I do things differently than they do them...that's part of the beauty of being ME, not someone else!
OK, vent over...HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
And to my favorite Jewish friends and readers...Happy Chanukah! (which, coincidentally, is spelled using the Hebrew letters chet, nun, vav, kaf, hey.
When trying to write a Hebrew word in English, the result is not always clear. Did you know...the right pronunciation of Chanukah is neither "ch", nor "h", but a consonant that doesn't exist in English...and therefore, the spelling debate is a moot point, so long as you can understand the intended meaning.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I sign all my Christmas cards "Happy Holidays" and really only say "Merry Christmas" on Xmas Eve and Xmas day. I also say Happy Turkey Day, just because it sounds more fun. It doesn't mean I'm any less thankful than anyone else on Thanksgiving, I just like saying "Turkey Day" because it makes me giggle. :)
The spelling thing is fascinating to me. I've always wondered about that - thanks for the lesson! I consider you my honorary Jewish friends - even though you aren't Jewish, you know A LOT about the religion! :)
Happy Chanukah, Hannukah, Hanukkah, and Channuka. :) AND happy HoliDAYS to you, Mrs. P :)
And this is why we love you, Jen. ;)
Happy Holidays to you!
When I was little, I just always assumed people said "Happy Holidays" to convey the entire holiday season--like you said, mid-November through December! I didn't find out until much later that it was a PC thing. :)
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukkah, Happy Kwanzaa!
Amen. The world has gotten far too PC and overly sensitive for my taste.
Happy whatever! Hope it's great! :D
See, here's my beef: say whatever the hell you want, but for the love of Mike, DO NOT CORRECT ME for saying something! (This all stems from a relative who seems adamant to "fix" my shortcomings.)
I just want to say that I love this post!!! :)
lol great post! I agree that everyone is too pc. Say whatever the hell you want, it's all good with me!
Post a Comment