I'm not sure what made me think of this today, but I didn't do an "anniversary post" for Mr. P about how much I adore him. He already knows that, and I prefer to tell him in person :) So instead of sharing that stuff, I'm going with something a little different.
I got to thinking about gas prices, and remembered my favorite wedding gift. I know - that makes no sense, right? Well, a family friend who is like a surrogate grandfather has Parkinson's. He and one of his neighbors drove to St. Louis from Florida for our wedding. (Why the long drive? He's in his 80s and afraid to fly - unless he's the pilot! He's building his own plane, and we all swear that's what keeps him going.)
Anyway, that's all sidebar stuff. His wedding gift to us was a check for $274. I'm thinking "Awesome - this is so generous of him, but what a WEIRD number!" Behind the check was a homemade card that read, "For the first 100 gallons of your life together. Love, Al" It was the most thoughtful, clever gift I've ever seen. (At the time, gas was significantly cheaper here in MO than it was in FL, but now $2.74/gal seems like a steal!)
The day we returned from our honeymoon, Mr. P's car had a flat tire...and two others were bald. (He hadn't told me because of how tight money had been.) Great way to start off married life, huh? We were able to put Al's gift to use for a new set of tires. Doesn't sound like much of a wedding present to most, but instead of 100 gallons, he was able to give us another 50,000 miles :)
Silly story, but made me smile so I thought I'd share. Sometimes it really is the thought that matters most.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
that is SUCH a cute story! it made me smile too. isn't it funny, how thing are and work out sometimes?
Great story. What a cute gift!!
At first I was thinking "$2.74, that's a lot for gas". Then I remembered how much gas is now. It's pretty sad.
What a clever idea for a gift!
What a cute idea! I'm glad that it worked out and you were able to get new tires. :)
that is cute! and gas is now 2.99 right now so it's getting close, it went down almost a buck!
I love that!
I LOVE this story!!! I'm sure if he knew/knows he'd be so happy :)
Wow, I can't remember the last time GR notified me you had a new post! I miss reading your blog :(
Cute gift idea :)
I think this is the cutest thing EVER. And as a side note, my grandpa [late 70s] builds his own little private planes, too. So far he's up to three and he is LOVING the life as a pilot. They are so cute, sometimes, aren't they?
One of the sweetest gift ideas I've ever heard. LOVE IT!
Post a Comment